Throughout the month of June, our Shake of the Month is inspired from the delicious and peanut-buttery Reese’s Pieces candy! While you may be familiar with this candy’s popular older brother, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, you might be surprised about some of the following facts about Reese’s candy company and some of its products!
- Harry Burnett “H.B.” Reese, the founder of Reese’s, actually originally worked for the Hershey’s company. Once his own Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups became a success, he quit the Hershey Company to pursue his own candy creation full-time.
- Reese’s had humble beginnings – the company was created in the founder’s basement!
- Peanut butter cups were originally named “Penny Cups,” since they were sold for a penny per cup back in the early 1930’s.
- The largest Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup you can buy online is a whopping 8 ounces. You can purchase them in solid packs of two!
- Outside of the company, the largest known peanut butter cup was 230 pounds!! This massive candy was five feet across and covered in 70 pounds of chocolate. Wow!!
- Curious to how many Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups are produced in one year? Well, enough to feed one cup to every person in the United States, Europe, Japan, Australia, China, Africa, and India!
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups are actually a good source of protein. Each cup contains five grams, which is the same as a healthy handful of almonds. Who knew?
- While the peanut butter filling for Reese’s Pieces and Peanut Butter Cups may taste similar, they are actually made with a different kind of filling. Can you taste the difference?
- Reese’s Pieces’ original name was actually PB’s. Doesn’t have the same ring to it, don’t you think?
Did you know any of these facts about Reese’s? Now take that newfound knowledge and enjoy our Shake of the Month, only available until June 30th! Take a picture of your shake and tag us on Instagram @RubysDiner and use the hashtag #RubysShakeoftheMonth!